Having remote start on your Toyota Venza can be a major convenience on cold winter mornings or scorching hot days. But does the Venza come equipped with remote start from the factory? Or do you need to add an aftermarket system to get this feature? This comprehensive guide will examine the remote start options for Venzas and help you determine the best route.
Table of Contents
- Overview of Remote Start Benefits
- Does Toyota Offer Remote Start on the Venza?
- Genuine Toyota Remote Start System
- Aftermarket Remote Start Kits
- Key Steps for Choosing a Remote Starter System
- Professional vs DIY Installation
- Operational Tips for Your Venza’s Remote Start
- Weighing the Costs of Remote Start
Overview of Remote Start Benefits
First, let’s review the key benefits that remote start systems deliver for any vehicle:
- Automatically start and warm up or cool down the interior from a distance
- Defrost windows and de-ice wipers on frigid days
- Protect engine by allowing warmup before driving
- Temporarily lower cabin temperature on sweltering days
- Recharge battery if unused for prolonged periods
- Deter potential thieves by making vehicle appear occupied
With these advantages in mind, it’s easy to understand the appeal of having a remote start in your Venza. Next let’s explore what Toyota offers straight from the factory.
Does Toyota Offer Remote Start on the Venza?
Unfortunately, remote start was not included as a standard feature on any Venza trims or model years. The Venza was available from 2009 to 2015 but lacked remote start even in higher trim configurations.
Certain other Toyota models do come equipped with remote start capabilities straight from the dealership. For example, it is a common standard feature on many newer Toyota SUVs like the RAV4, Highlander, and Sequoia. But on the Venza, remote start must be added after purchase through one of the following options:
Genuine Toyota Remote Start System
For Venza owners who want a fully integrated remote start that works seamlessly with their key fob, Toyota does offer an aftermarket system. The Genuine Toyota Remote Engine Starter is designed specifically for installation on Venzas without requiring any external modules.
Benefits of the Toyota remote start include:
- Seamless operation from your existing key fob or Toyota app
- Designed to complement all Venza electrical systems
- Professional installation by Toyota technicians
- Thorough testing and warranty from Toyota
Keep in mind that Toyota charges a premium for their remote start system and installation. Expect costs of $500–$800+ to have it professionally installed at the dealership.
Aftermarket Remote Start Kits
Aftermarket remote start systems from brands like Viper, Compustar, Audiovox, or Avital offer another option for DIY installation. You can find both 1-way and 2-way systems offering up to 3,000 feet of range:
- 1-way systems: cheaper and simpler with button-press confirmation
- 2-way systems are pricier but offer LCD confirmation
- Short range: up to 1500 ft max
- Long range: up to 3000 ft max
Aftermarket kit advantages include:
- A wider selection of features and price points
- Ability to self-install if DIY-savvy
- Typically cheaper than Toyota version
Just ensure proper installation to avoid electrical issues or warranty conflicts. Overall, aftermarket kits provide the most flexibility and value for Venza owners wanting to add remote start.
Key Steps for Choosing a Remote Starter System
If you’ve decided to pursue installing remote start in your Venza, use this checklist to select the optimal system:
- Pick 1-way or 2-way; 1-way is simpler and cheaper. 2-way offers confirmation feedback.
- Choose short or long range. Consider the maximum distance needed from your Venza. Long range costs more.
- Ensure tach sensor compatibility—necessary for automatic transmission vehicles like the Venza.
- Check warranty coverage: at least 1 year minimum; longer is better.
- Buy from reputable brands: Viper, Avital, Compustar, Audiovox, etc.
- Consider professional installation especially if DIY skills are limited.
- Check programmability. The ability to customize settings is useful.
Following this criteria will help narrow down the highest-quality remote start system for your particular needs and budget.
Professional vs DIY Installation
Once you’ve purchased a compatible remote start system, next comes the installation. You essentially have two options:
Hiring an experienced mechanic or technician to install your remote start system is the best way to ensure proper installation without any vehicle damage or operational issues.
Benefits of professional installation include:
- Expert knowledge of electrical systems
- Proper connection of all components
- Verification of full functionality
- Manufacturer warranty protection
With patience and mechanical skills, installing an aftermarket system yourself is an option. This allows you to save on labor costs, but has some downsides:
Downsides of DIY installation:
- Easy to make connections mistakes
- No confirmation that it is working correctly
- Potential to void manufacturer warranty
- No professional oversight or accountability
Unless you have a very high level of automotive electrical expertise, professional installation is highly recommended. Paying a bit more for a proper install often saves money and headaches in the long run.
Operational Tips for Your Venza’s Remote Start
Once your shiny new remote start system is installed in your Venza, here are some tips for proper operation:
- Only run engine for 5–10 minutes max when not driving
- Check that doors are locked before remote starts.
- Have a spare key handy in case remote battery dies
- Ensure proper maintenance for longevity
- Reprogram if changing key fobs
- Keep remote battery charged for max range
Following the usage instructions will ensure you get the maximum convenience and longevity from your Venza’s remote start capability. No more scraping icy windshields on winter mornings!
Weighing the Costs of Remote Start
Finally, let’s do a quick cost-benefit analysis of adding remote start to your Venza:
- Purchase price – $50-$500+
- Professional installation – Typically $200-$350
- Potential electrical issues if DIY install goes awry
- Key fob convenience for cold weather warm-up
- Avoid icy windows and frozen wipers
- Comfort of cooled interior on hot days
- Peace of mind from secured vehicle
- Maintain battery charge during storage
For most Venza owners who live in areas with temperature extremes, the comfort, security, and convenience benefits make the upfront costs worthwhile. Just follow proper usage and maintenance for optimal longevity of your remote start system.
While remote start was not included from the factory on Toyota Venza’s, owners still have great options for adding this feature. Aftermarket systems from trusted brands deliver the latest technology, range, and reliability when professionally installed. Or you can pay a premium for the factory-backed Toyota remote start system for seamless integration. Compare the costs and benefits as you choose the best setup for your needs and budget. With the right remote starter installed, you’ll stay comfortable in any weather while enjoying keyless convenience.