Having your vehicle stolen is frustrating and unsettling. Fortunately, Hyundai offers a stolen vehicle slowdown system and recovery tracking services to aid authorities in retrieving your car if it’s taken illegally. Understanding these theft deterrent features provides peace of mind.
Table of Contents
Hyundai Anti-Theft Systems
All new Hyundai models come equipped with advanced anti-theft technology:
- Immobilizer System – This prevents the engine from starting unless the proper factory key or smart key fob is used. It disables hotwiring efforts.
- Alarm System – This deters potential thieves with audible alarms if doors, hood or trunk are breached without the key. It can also trigger the horn.
- Steering Column Lock – This mechanical lock makes the wheel immovable when the ignition is off, hindering steering if thieves attempt to push or tow the vehicle.
These systems aim to prevent or delay illegal operation if your Hyundai is targeted. But additional recovery features activate if your car is stolen.
Hyundai Stolen Vehicle Slowdown System
In the event your Hyundai does get taken, the stolen vehicle slowdown system kicks in automatically to assist police recovery:
- It activates with the ignition on and all doors closed for a period of time after being reported stolen.
- The system gradually and subtly reduces engine power to slow the vehicle down to around 3 mph.
- Hazards lights will flash rapidly to identify the car to pursuing authorities.
- The immobilizer prevents the stalled engine from restarting once stopped.
This integrated system provides law enforcement time to catch up and safely recover the stolen Hyundai.
Stolen Vehicle Tracking Services
Beyond built-in theft deterrents, Hyundai also offers optional theft recovery services that use GPS and cellular signals to track stolen vehicles in real-time:
- Hyundai Bluetooth® Connect – When enrolled and activated after a verified theft, trained agents can pinpoint the Hyundai’s location anywhere in the continental U.S.
- SiriusXM® GuardianTM Stolen Vehicle Recovery – If your Hyundai has this factory telematics system, agents work with police to track and recover the vehicle after a reported theft.
- Third-party Tracking Apps – Several aftermarket apps available can also tap into your smartphone connection and onboard diagnostics port to monitor your Hyundai’s movements if stolen.
Activating one of these services provides the best chance of authorities recovering your Hyundai quickly with minimal damage.
Steps to Take if Your Hyundai is Stolen
If your Hyundai does get stolen, here are important response steps:
- File an official police report immediately with all details of the theft and your vehicle.
- Call Hyundai’s toll-free Assistance Center to activate tracking services if enrolled. Provide the police report case number.
- Alert your insurance company and provide them with the police report number.
- Notify credit card companies if vehicle keys also contained key cards for payments. Cancel these cards.
- Change online passwords for any accounts linked to the vehicle, like satellite radio.
- Keep all theft documentation and only communicate further with authorities, not the thieves.
Filing the police report rapidly activates Hyundai’s response systems so they can coordinate with law enforcement to locate your car. Don’t attempt to track it down yourself.
Prevention Tips to Avoid Theft
While after-the-fact recovery features are useful, avoiding theft in the first place is ideal. Smart prevention tips include:
- Park only in well-lit areas rather than dark side streets.
- Use your Hyundai’s interior cabin surveillance monitoring system if equipped.
- Never leave spare keys or valuables inside the parked vehicle.
- Consider aftermarket deterrents like car alarms, steering wheel locks or brake pedal locks.
- If parking for an extended period, use a covered garage rather than open lots.
- Report any tampering or break-in attempts to authorities promptly. Video footage aids police.
Remaining vigilant and using common sense makes your Hyundai a far less appealing target for thieves prowling for easy marks.
While no car can be made completely theft-proof, Hyundai’s integrated immobilizer, alarm and slowdown systems aim to deter thieves and assist police in recovering stolen vehicles quickly. Report any thefts immediately and activate available tracking services. And take sensible precautions to avoid making your Hyundai an easy theft target. With some diligence, the odds of losing your Hyundai permanently to thieves remains minimal.